Just a few words...

We've moved our online home and blog to:
http://hairferry.com
Stop by for our new blog entries and all sort of new and exciting stuff. Thank YOU!

Thursday, December 1, 2011

What is an S.M.E.?

I am. I am an S.M.E.  There, I have officially outed myself. Defined it means; Single Mom Entrepreneur.  I have always wanted to start my own business but I just didn't really know how to go about doing it...or what exactly I should 'start'.  I mean, I love baking, so I have often thought of opening a bakery.  But I work full time and without a partner to help launch it...it seemed so out of reach.

I love being a hairstylist, but do not want to own my own salon.  I am better suited to working in the entertainment industry doing films and television and the occasional print jobs with the talent,  actors and musicians that I know.  No, not a salon...but what then? How could I blend my love of hair with a business all my own?

One day, in the last few days in August,  I was back at work on the television show that I have been the Department Head for 7 seasons now.  I had an actress in my chair and was busy styling her locks and talking about current events in our lives. It was within this conversation that the idea for my company came to fruition.  A simple thought...a notion...that I had swirling in my brain suddenly escaped my lips.  As soon as I spoke of my vision to make something I felt would be truly useful in my profession, to anyone who enjoys styling hair, this lovely actress listened with great focus.  After a few moments she simply said  "Why don't you?" What a great thing to ask me.  Why don't I?  I found myself asking, thinking, wondering.  That was the moment that set me on my new path.  I was realizing I could actually pursue this simple idea. Maybe? Yes. I could.

We finished our time together and she headed onto set.  I was left standing awkwardly behind the hair chair looking at myself in the mirror above my station.  I stared into my eyes looking for a pep talk from myself.  A smile slowly crept across my face with great indignation. I will make this happen I heard my inner voice say, I will. But how?

August, 2011






No comments:

Post a Comment